Constipation is defined as difficulty in defecation, it is accompanied
- By expulsion of hard amount of hard feces
- Reduction in defecation to less than three to four times a week
You may have pain while passing stools or may be unable to have a bowel movement after straining or pushing for more than 10 minutes.
Constipation is most often caused by:
- Low-fiber diet
- Lack of physical activity
- Not drinking enough water
- Delay in going to the bathroom when you have the urge to move your bowels
Stress and travel can also contribute to constipation or other changes in bowel habits.
Other causes of constipation may include:
- Colon cancer
- Diseases of the bowel, such as irritable bowel system
- Mental health disorders
- Nervous system disorder
- Underactive thyroid
- Use of certain medications
- The foods that contribute most to constipation prevention are
-Fresh Fruits : Eat fruit with all of its pulp instead of drinking fruit juice-Vegetables
3. Consume Enough Fiber: Plant based foods are the only ones that contain the fiber necessary to, among other things, move the feces normally through the intestine.
4. Educate The Bowels: Laxatives (natural vegetable fibre and pharmaceutical preparations), enemas, glycerin, suppositories and other remedies may relieve an acute case but not chronic constipation.
Avoiding constipation requires the learning of good toilet habits from childhood and educating the bowel
-Do not ignore the physiological need to defecate
-Try to evacuate at the same time of the day
-Perform some type of physical exercise