Banana is one of the most nutritious and medicinal fruit that exists. After the apple, they are the most consumed fruit in the world. A banana can be eaten anywhere without need for a napkin or a knife, they come wrapped in its own natural hygienic packaging- its peel that protects it from contamination.
Banana contains 108 calories, they are rich in essential vitamins such as A, B complex, B-6 and C, Banana stand out for their vitamin B6 content. 75% of banana is composed of water, and the other important nutrients found in it are potassium, manganese, protein, phosphorous, calcium, iron, carbohydrates and fiber.
Banana’s medicinal application are as follows:
- Bananas are an ideal fruit for those suffering from coronary disease
- Bananas are effective in relieving diarrhea in children as well as in adults
- Bananas contain serotonin, this substance which is derived from the amino acid tryptophan, performs various functions within the nervous system such as inbition of pains in the spinal cord and sedation of nerves.
- It is highly recommended for the people having high blood pressure to increase the intake of this fruit. The low sodium and high potassium contents make an ideal combination to reduce the chances of stroke and also prevents hypertension.
- Bananas are a good source of Vitamin B6, there are a number of benefits vitamin B6 has, to maintain body’s health. The vitamin B6 found in bananas has anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce the risks of developing type II diabetes, cardiovascular diseases and obesity.
- Banana is a power boosting fruit; the healthy carbohydrates present in bananas helps to increase energy.
- Eating bananas aids digestion, rich in pectin, bananas aid digestion and gently chelate toxins and heavy metals from the body.
- Banana as a Mood fixer and Stress reliever, because the tryptophan contents found in bananas have a soothing effect on the brain. Tryptophan is a kind of amino acid that acts as a neurotransmitter, which is helpful in stabilizing mood. When we are stressed out our body loses potassium, eating banana could prove to be the best source for maintaining a balanced potassium level.
- Bananas act as a prebiotic, stimulating the growth of friendly bacteria in the bowel. They also produce digestive enzymes to assist in absorbing nutrients.
- High fiber in bananas can help normalize bowel motility, and contribute to lipid and cholesterol lowering effect.
- Bananas are a natural antacid, providing relief from acid reflux,heartburn and GERD( Gastroesophageal reflux disease)
- This amazing fruit is rich in antioxidant phenolic compounds; these compounds are beneficial for maintaining healthy kidneys. The potassium contents found in bananas also aid the kidneys by reducing the production of kidney stones. It also regulates the amount of calcium that is excreted with the urine. Eating a banana on daily basis can have a positive effect on vision. To avoid the risk of macular degeneration (loss of vision with growing age) 3 servings of banana is suggested per day
- Bananas are the only raw fruit that can be consumed without distress to relieve stomach ulcers by coating the lining of the stomach against corrosive acids.